SEC Says Highflying Marijuana Stocks May Be A Bad Trip
The movement to legalize marijuana has triggered a wave of investment scams by stock dealers promising high returns on dope companies that are likely to be a bad trip.
With nearly half of U.S. states now allowing marijuana use for medical or recreational purposes, the Securities and Exchange Commission is warning "about the potential for fraud in microcap companies that claim their operations relate to the marijuana industry."
"For marijuana-related companies that are not required to report with the SEC, investors may have limited information about the company's management, products, services, and finances," the SEC says. "When publicly available information is scarce, fraudsters can more easily spread false information about a company, making profits for themselves while creating losses for unsuspecting investors."
The SEC, at the time of the announcement in May 2014, had suspended trading in five marijuana companies located in California, Colorado, and Texas.
"Recent changes in state laws concerning medical and recreational marijuana have created new opportunities for penny stock fraud," said Elisha Frank, co-chair of the SEC Enforcement Division's Microcap Fraud Task Force. "Wherever we see incomplete or misleading disclosures, we act quickly to protect investors."
In other words, your expected high profits could go up in smoke.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved.
- Marylanders: Live Longer To Leave More For Your Heirs
- Study Up On Earnings Test For Social Security Benefits
- Key Aspects Of Key-Person Insurance
- Life Insurance Is Triple Tax Winner
- Be An Elephant And Downplay Talk Of Bulls And Bears
- Sound Advice On Donor-Advised Funds
- Ins And Outs Of Nondeductible IRAs
- Markets May Not Be Certain, But Experience Is
- Roll Over And Play Dead To The IRS
- A New Retirement Account Debuts, But Is It Worthwhile
- 5 Tasty Tips For A Spending Diet
- Count On The Portability Provision
- More Flexibility Allowed In Flex Spending Accounts
- Is It Too Late For Roth Conversion?
- Should You Turn Off A Trust?