Supporting Grown Children And Your Parents Takes Its Toll
Parents and children are squeezing “baby boomers.” Children are leaving the house later, and aging parents are more often in need of financial support and care, leaving many boomers with little alternative but to work longer.
An estimated 45% of middle-aged workers provide financial support to children older than 25, according to a recent survey by Brightwork Partners, and about 20% of middle-agers are supporting an elderly parent. Contrary to popular opinion, the “me” generation seems to be putting others first.
The heavier financial burdens boomers are taking on are changing the retirement plan of an entire generation. Among boomers supporting their parents, 42% say they will work during retirement and 26% say they will delay retirement, according to the survey, which was sponsored by Putnam Investments.
If you’re a member of the sandwich generation, the heavy load being placed on you may be making you worried about how you’ll fund your own retirement. That’s where a financial plan can be crucial. Your plan will translate your near-term challenges, such as funding care for your parents and supporting your post-graduate children, into real terms and quantify these liabilities. You’ll get a clear understanding about what you must do to secure your own retirement.
If you’re in your 50s or 60s and worried about mounting financial obligations as you approach retirement, creating a comprehensive wealth management plan is wise and may relieve some pressure.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved.
- Eight Ways To Save On Life Insurance
- Consider Buying Instead Of Leasing A Nice Car
- Start A Business With Your IRA Or 401(k)
- Charitable Giving Through Insurance
- When Parents Pass On And Leave Children All They Own, What Happens To The Family Home?
- Switching The Form Of Your Business
- Shaping Your Legacy With Trusts
- Plan Ahead To Sell Your Business
- Getting Help To Care For Mom And Dad
- How Now, Dow Jones Industrials?
- Five Steps When You Inherit Assets
- Getting A High Tax Grade For Higher Education Credits
- Five Retirement Questions To Answer
- Q's And A's About Financial Aid
- Taking Socially Responsible Investing To The Next Level